Friday, October 22, 2010

Transition Planning

Career Guidance and Exploration

This is something that had interested me since I began looking through and working with IEPs this year. One thing about it that I find interesting is that there are so many options out there for possible career interests and college choices. I found the links, below, to be beneficial to those looking for career guidance:

  • NCSET has a great FAQ on their site about the various aspects of career guidance, found here: NCSET on Career Guidance.
  • I've attached a great checklist I found from the Wisconsin Statewide Transition Initiative, sectioned off by grade, to help teachers make sure they are on the right track to helping their students transition to adulthood successfully. You can download it by going to the Attachments tab at the top of this wiki.
  • Cornell has a web page with several links that have information about transition sources and services. Many of them are based in New York, but there are also several links to national websites: Transition Source.
  • I also found a page from Texas A&M that has some easy to understand information about career assessments, manager expectations, and employment skills. Interesting stuff!
  • The Oregon Transition Systems Change Project has a great IEP and Transitions checklist available to download (I've uploaded it for you to take if you want - it's also under the Attachments tab at the top of this wiki). It includes a checklist of things that show that a quality IEP and Transition plan has been put into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment